Stucco homes are becoming more popular, especially in California’s hot and dry regions. Stucco is known for its durability – it can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance. One of the best and easiest ways of maintaining stucco is to use the right paint after stucco repair it as long as it is in good condition.
While stucco’s durability is renowned, it is still not spared from damage. Any of the following may cause cracks on your stucco:
- The gradual shifting of your house
- Seasonal weather patterns
- Incorrect fitting of lath
- A wrong mixture of stucco compound
As soon as you see those cracks on your exterior stucco walls, it would be best to repair them to prevent further problems. For instructions on fixing stucco cracks and painting over the patched stucco areas, please refer to this article When You Need to Repair Stucco Cracks and Paint Your Dublin Home.
Painting your stucco after repair
Painting stucco after the repair is quite doable, even for DIY home painters.
But it can be tricky sometimes, especially when matching the color of the new paint to the current paint on your stucco walls.
Even if you buy the same color, the new paint may not match the current paint color for several reasons. The original paint on your stucco walls may have aged or faded due to dirt or sun exposure, or it may have experienced too much wear and tear. Differences in paint batches or application methods may have contributed to this effect.
How to match an existing stucco color?
Here is a handful of options to match a new paint color and your original stucco color:
- Get a custom color match from a paint supplier or stucco manufacturer.
- Compare sample colors on color charts or swatches to the wall and check which of the colors is the exact or close match.
If you are repairing and demolishing a structure, get a clean piece of stucco as you remove it. It may be easier to get a color sample this way. Compare the stucco piece you have with color chart samples and decide on the one that matches most closely to the original color. Then take the same color chart to a paint supplier or stucco manufacturer and ask them to make the exact color.
If any of these options still won’t work, you may resort to re-painting the stucco exterior altogether. This option means you’ll have to clean and prep the entire surface before painting, which takes more time to complete.
Finding the right painting contractor to paint your stucco exterior
Stucco is susceptible to certain factors, such as weather changes or seismic events. Professional painters know the stucco “behavior” and thus have the best tools and techniques to correct it. And yes, they have the best paints to match your home’s original stucco color as closely as possible. Some painters may even mix the colors for you.
To hire the right painter to paint your stucco, consider the following helpful tips:
- Look for a painting company that has years of experience, especially in working with stucco.
- Make sure that the painting company is licensed and insured. Consider a painting contractor with both general liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance.
- Check genuine customer reviews and ratings. Steer clear of fake reviews or reviews that seem to be written by bots.
- Ask for customer references from the painting companies on your list.
- Check the company’s business credentials, such as memberships in a local community or professional trade organizations.
- Ask for estimates or quotes from the painters on your list (at least three to five). Compare these estimates. An estimate will help you determine which contractor charges most reasonably and will deliver what you expect for your project.
- Once you’ve hired a painting company, get a contract and warranty in writing. Ask the painter what the contract and warranty will not cover. The more details they provide, the fewer you will encounter problems during the painting project.
Suppose you’re looking for the right painter after stucco repair. If so, you could benefit from a professional service like Custom Painting, Inc. Our team has years of experience, the right tools, and the best practices to paint your homes in Dublin or any other Bay Area city. Call us at 925-294-8062 to schedule a free consultation and estimate.